Friday, September 18, 2015

Another week gone!

Happy Friday, everyone! This week was technically my first FULL week with my new Pre-K friends, because we only had a four days week last week after Labor Day. It was also Open House yesterday. Needless to say, I am VERY relieved to see the weekend!

This week in Pre-K our theme was "Playing Nicely Together." We were able to practice this very thoroughly at our stations, and the station that is best for learning how to play nicely is the dramatic play station. I can't tell you how much it saddens me that the primary grades are starting to do away with dramatic play opportunities. Even in Kindergarten it is considered frivolous to include some dramatic play on a daily basis, despite the huge amount of research supporting how beneficial dramatic play is for young learners' social and emotional development.

Anyway (rant over)... because the students in my class work in pairs, we have 10 stations total in our class. We can usually fit in about 4 or 5 stations, which means that each student gets to go to the dramatic play center at least twice per week. Yay for dramatic play!

M and A playing nicely together in the dramatic play area.
We also learned about the letter T, number 2, and triangles. We did the ABC mouse song for the letter T, which the kids absolutely loved. My morning class always asked me to play it for them again! We did a letter craft again this week: T is for Tree :)


I think they turned out really cute! I also got half of my donors choose project, dot markers, which I promptly used with practice for the number two. I got this cute activity from Miss Kindergarten on TpT.

As promised, here is a shot of our Bucket Fillers wall.
It's the perfect height for my little friends to put their "warm fuzzies" into.

Next week, our theme is "Who Am I?" In our class, we will be focusing on things we like, what we look like, and self-esteem. We will also be learning about the letter P, the number 3, and rectangles.

Thanks for reading!
-Mrs. G

No comments:

Post a Comment