Friday, September 4, 2015

David Goes to School

My goodness! What a week. With the help of some very generous people, I managed to get my classroom packed, moved, unpacked, and set up again in just two days. I met all 42 of my new little friends and we got started together on Wednesday. Let me just say that I am incredibly grateful that we have a three day weekend ahead!

This week my mission was the get the students to start to understand some of my expectations for them. I read David Goes to School by David Shannon every day that I taught. That's right, every day. Repeated shared readings are excellent for 4-year-olds, because as they become familiar with the story, they can "read" the words with me! This helps them develop some early concepts of print. Plus, it helps them remember the moral of the story. We also made these cute David Goes to School crafts, which let me get a glimpse into their fine motor skills, their ability to listen to and follow directions, and whether or not they were familiar with scissors. So many discoveries from this one project! 

K. using her scissor skills to cut the stripes for David's shirt.

T. showing off his fine motor skills by drawing a mouth on his David.
Final product:)

And now...this lady is off to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment